P & A Campbell transferred their steamer business from the Clyde to the Bristol Channel in 1888. The first ship, the paddle-steamer 'Waverley' started excursions to Ilfracombe in March 1888. In July 1891 P.S. 'Ravenswood' began operating and between 1894 and 1896 three modern steel vessels, 'Westward Ho', 'Cambria' and 'Britannia' were added to the fleet. During World War 1 the entire fleet was commandeered by the Royal Navy, and another vessel had to be chartered in 1917 to keep ferry services running between Cardiff and Weston-Super-Mare. By 1945 the Company had agents in Cardiff, Weston, Ilfracombe, Swansea, Brighton, Newport, Minehead and Torquay, and in 1956 the headquarters moved from Bristol to Cardiff. In 1959, P & A Campbell Ltd became a subsiduary of George Nott Industries Ltd which also controlled the Thoreson Ferry Group. The first motor vessel, 'St. Trillo', was bought when the Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company went out of business, and started operating in the Bristol Channel services in 1963. The 'Bristol Queen', which went out of service in 1967, was the last paddle steamer used.
Further information about the company and detailed descriptions of the individual ships can be obtained from the following printed sources:
R Wall: Bristol Channel Pleasure Steamers (1973)
CLD Duckworth & GE Langmuir: West Coast Steamers (3rd edition 1966)
G Farr: West Country Passenger Steamers (2nd edition 1967)