Ref noTR/Adm
TitleAdministration records
Date1764 - 1986
DescriptionThe Proprietors of the Theatre Royal, 1764-1925
As set out in the Trust Deed of 1816, the Proprietors of the Theatre Royal held their General Meeting annually on, or near to, the second Thursday in May. The Committee of Proprietors, an executive committee of five proprietors, met on a regular basis and had oversight of the running of theatre. The committee was empowered to let the theatre for terms of up to 21 years and also to renew leases and patents. It also oversaw the maintenance of the building, as well as matters concerning the proprietors and silver token holders (not necessarily one and the same, see TR/Aal). Initially, the minutes of the meetings were kept in the same volume as the dividend lists (TR/Adm/1/1) but from the early nineteenth century onwards these were kept separately (see TR/Aal/3/1-3). Although the set of minutes terminates in 1925 when the Proprietors sold the Theatre to Douglas Millar, the first four volumes in this series comprise a complete set of minutes covering the duration of the Proprietors' ownership of the theatre.

Trustees of the Theatre Royal, 1942 onwards, first meeting of Trustees 21 January 1943
The theatre was purchased in 1942 and ownership passed once again to a group of trustees. An Executive Committee was formed to run the appeal to purchase the building outright and to find suitable tenants (TR/Adm/1/6 and TR/Adm/2/1-2). Following CEMA/Arts Council's lease of the theatre in November 1942, the Trustees of The Theatre Royal met annually (TR/Adm/8-9). The Trustees of the Theatre Royal owned the theatre building, leasing it to the Bristol Old Vic company as tenants (TR/Aal/1/10) until 2010 when company and trust merged.
Access statusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018