Ref noTR/Aal/1/1
Alt ref no8976/15
TitleProposal and agreement appointing trustees to further the purpose of building a theatre or playhouse
Date17 Sep 1764
DescriptionSubscribers to build a theatre to cost of £2000 funded by shares of £50 each. They appoint John Vaughan the younger, Alexander Edgar, Roger Watts, William Jones and Thomas Symons as agents in trust to take up a lease with the owners of the property - ground lying behind the Bull's Head in Baldwin Street and extending to the back part of the Coopers' Hall in King Street - for 999 years. The trustees are further empowered to let the theatre to William Powell, John Arthur, John Palmer and Nathanial Clark on a lease for Juneto September of each year at a rent of £5 for every £100 spent on the building by the subscribers. Each subscriber to have a ticket admitting him to the theatre at any performance. If £2,000 proves insufficient for the purpose the number of subscribers is to be increased; if it proves too much, the trustees agree to return the surplus to the subscribers.

On the dorse, dated 30 May 1766, agreed at general meeting of Subscribers to admit ten additional subscribers, signed by John Lambert and James Vaughan.

Attached list of 34 subscribers, including the ten additional subscribers admitted 30 May 1766.
LevelItem
Extent1 document
Access statusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019