Ref noP.St T
TitleRecords of the Anglican parish of St Thomas the Martyr
Date1275 - 1979
DescriptionRegisters
Incumbent
Churchwardens
Vestry
Parochial Church Council
Overseers of the Poor
Waywardens
Charities
Societies
Books, printed material etc
Plans and photographs
Historical material
Miscellaneous and Deeds records
LevelCollection
Extent89 vols; 834 docs; 57 bdls; 172 bklets; 6 files; 2 Evivs; 2 Seals; 1 item; 80; photos; 6 plans; 1 painting; 1 Medal; 20 glass negs; 1 engraving
Administrative historySt Thomas formed part of the Diocese of Bristol on the creation of the diocese in 1542. It had always enjoyed certain parochial rights and was regarded as a parish church although it was not granted independent parochial status until 16 October 1852. Previously it was, together with Abbots Leigh and St Mary Redcliffe, a chapelry of the parish or manor of Bedminster. The parish was united with St Mary Redliffe by order of the Church Commissioners on 24 February 1956 and the church was used as a centre for the exercise of the ministry of the Word and Sacraments among those engaged in industry in Bristol. The work of the Social and Industrial Ministry was transferred to the Cathedral in 1977.

The church is dedicated to Thomas Becket, who was martyred at Canterbury in 1170 and canonised in 1173. In 1538 Henry VIII ordered that Becket should no longer be cosidered a saint and references to "the martyr" were crossed out of the church records. A new matrix for the parish seal made in 1567 bore the legend "Thomas the Apostle of Jesu Christ", though in some deed s executed after Henry's order the church is described in a non-committal way as of St Thomas. References in deeds earlier than 1538 make clear the original dedication to St Thomas the Martyr, which is now in use.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsThese records are immediately available for research
LanguageEnglish
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018