Ref noEP
TitleDiocese of Bristol: Episcopal Records
Date1538-2010s
DescriptionThe collection comprises: Administrative records (EP/A) relating to presentations, patronage, plurality, ordination, union of benfices, small livings, consecration, licenes for worship, parsonage houses, tithes; Estate records (EP/E) including Episcopal residence, registers of leases, papers relating to individual parishes; Judicial records (EP/J) including cause books, cause papers, marriage records, testamentary records including wills, faculties; Visitation records (EP/V) including processes, papers, bishop's transcripts, terriers and visitations.

The collection also includes records of the Archdeacon (EP/Arch) and Deanery Synods (EP/De).

The collection also includes records of diocesan organisations including: Bristol Christian Men's Conference (EP/BCMC); Bristol Diocesan Board of Finance (EP/BDBF); Church House (EP/CH); the Church Union (EP/CU); the Diocesan Advisory Council (EP/DAC); Mothers Union (EP/MU); Bristol Clerical Education Society (EP/Soc); National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies (EP/Soc2); Church Mission Society/United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (EP/USPG).
LevelCollection
Extent146 shelves
Administrative historyBefore the Reformation, the city of Bristol was in the diocese of Worcester and in 1541 into the newly-founded diocese of Gloucester. The following yearthe former Abbey Church of St Augustine became the Cathdral Church of a new diocese consisting of the city and county of Bristol, a few parishes in Gloucestershire, Abbots Leigh and the county of Dorset transferred from Sarum. This city and deanery of Bristol remained under the direct administration of the Bishop and his officials but without an Archdeacon. In 1836-37 schemes of the newly founded Ecclesiastical Commission united Bristol with Gloucester, along with Salisbury and with Dorset returning to Sarum. In 1897 the diocese of Bristol was again seperated from Gloucester.
Related materialSee also accession numbers 206, 207 and 208. Some records will be held at Gloucester and Salisbury. Records were also lost due to a a 1731 fire which destroyed almost the whole town of Blandford. The majority of Dorset records are at Salisbury.
Access statusOpen
Custodial historyThe main collection of diocesan records were transferred from the Cathedral to the record office in 1950, with regular deposits ever since, including 1952, 1954, 1965, 1966 and 1967. Testamentary records (originating from the Bishop's consistory court until 1857) were transferred from the District Probate Registary in 1958. A relocation of the diocesan registrar's office in 1970 also resulted in a further deposit of items. Large transfers of items were received in 1999, 2002 and 2012 - these have not been integrated with the main series yet and have been listed under addtl1999, addtl2002 and addtl2012. The diocesan register regularly forward individual documents which are added directly into the relevant class.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018