Ref noBROFA/0069
Alt ref noHTV 90T 2428 (reel BW)
AuthorF G Warne
TitleThe Visit to Bristol of Queen Elizabeth II and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh on April 17 1956
Date17 Apr 1956
DescriptionOn the occasion of opening the new Council House. Shots of coats of arms, flags, Queen Victoria’s statue and Council House, College Green. Swans and boats in Bristol Docks, Campbell’s pleasure steamer, crowds at quayside. Gun salute.

Arrival at Temple Meads railway station. Crowds line the route, visit to St Mary Redcliff church. Journey from the church across Prince Street bridge to Charles Hill’s Albion Dockyard in Cumberland Road. Queen views photographs and paintings and signs visitors book and is introduced to selected people (possibly long standing employees).

To the new Council House (a casualty from crowd is shown lying on the ground, receiving attention from a nurse). Members of Princess Elizabeth Club, disabled spectators. Motorcycle to and from Mansion House. The Portway, Suspension Bridge.
LevelItem
Extent26 minutes 16 seconds
Access statusOpen
Format16mm
CategoryFilm
Colour formatBlack and white
Digital access categoryRemovable hard drive
Digital access formatDigital file format - MPG
Sound formatMute
Source categoryHigh band U-matic
Source formatVideo cassette
Archivist's noteBROFA version taken from 38513/2 on HTV 90T 2428 but there is another copy at 35517/40 and an extended version at 35517/41 (on HTV 90T 1712G & 4056H reel AI). Available to view in our public searchroom. Digital locations for staff reference: Media PC / Video box / TB1 / etlapp11 / EMU
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018