Ref no44390
TitleRecords of Bristol South Cycling Club
Date1893-2001
DescriptionAdministrative, financial and membership records, as well as photographs and printerd material.
LevelCollection
Administrative historyThe organisation was established in April 1893 by a few enthusiastic cyclists who, having formed a social alliance, were inspired to form themselves into a cycling club. The original members and founders were: Messrs A G Justin (chairman), T Edwards (captain), C F Manns (treasurer), W Morgan (bugler), C Hazelwood, F Budd, G Jones, R Alden, W Greening, J King (vice-captain), W H Lewis and A S Sheppard (secretary).

In 1894 the club joined the National Cyclists' Union. In 1946, following World War Two, the club reorganised and admitted women for the first time. In 1966 Mrs B Body became the first member chosen to represent Great Britain in the World Championships, held in Germany.

During the club's centenary year, the club celebrated by promoting the 100 mile National Championship on the Gloucester Road which was won by Gethin Butler in 3hr 44min 45sec. The centenary dinner was held at the Kingswood Civic Centre with Ted King, President of the Cyclists’ Touring Club, as the guest of honour. The first club run from Bristol to Bath was re-enacted along the railway cycle track in association with the Veteran Cycle Club and a celebratory club run to Malmesbury was held, where the riders stopped for lunch.
Access statusMixed (see AccessConditions field)
Access conditionsData Protection Act 1998
Archivist's noteBristol Record Office would like to thank volunteer Jayne Pucknell for her work cataloguing this collection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018