Ref no41645
TitleBristol Council for the Disabled
Date1940 - 1995
DescriptionThe Bristol Council for the Disabled (BCD) originally consisted of two separate societies: the Bristol Crippled Children's Society (BCCS) and the Bristol Council for Disabled Adults (BCDA).
The BCCS was founded in 1923 and initially helped with individual casework for disabled children and their families. It also played an important role in the founding of Winford Orthpeadic Hospital in 1930. By the 1960s it was recognised that much of the original work of the society was now being provided by the welfare state but that there still existed a lack of training for disabled people of school-leaving age and so the BCCS opened a workshop and focussed on providing training opportunities.
The BCDA was founded around 1942, but as welfare service provision began to grow, it too focussed its resources on providing occupational training and work. This led to the establishment of a shop on Lower Park Row which provided an retail outlet for the work produced. In 1967, the shop moved to premises at 75 Whiteladies Road.
From April 1953 the BCCS and BCDA held combined committee meetings, although the finances of the two societies remained separate until 1970.
From c. 1962 the two societies functioned under a joint constitution and were registered as a charity in March 1962. From c. 1983 the society went under the name, the Bristol Council for the Disabled (BCD).
The society was removed from the charities register on May 1999 when it ceased to exist. When the BCD was wound up its assets were transferred to a newly formed charity, The Vassall Centre Trust.
LevelCollection
Extent0.104328
Access statusMixed
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018