Ref no40862
TitleBristol Centre for the Deaf, founded as the Christian Mission to the Deaf and Dumb.
DescriptionThe Bristol Christian Mission to the Deaf and Dumb was founded in 1884, largely by the efforts of Rev. W.J.Mayers of City Road Baptist Church. Its purpose was to care for "the spiritual and temporal welfare of the adult deaf and dumb in the City". Financial difficulties meant that for the first years of the mission, its work was carried on from a hired room in the Y.M.C.A. At last, in 1912, a Deaf and Dumb Institute was opened at 4 King Square, Bristol. The Institute moved to new purpose-built premises in King Square in 1962.
The Mission and Institute was run at first by a Missioner, Edward Thomas. On his death this post was taken by Percy Prowse (1913-1936). In 1936, the Missioner was replaced by Rev. Hartnoll, who took the title of Superintendent and Chaplain. He held the post until 1972. The Institute became "The Centre for Deaf- Bristol" in 1979. For a history of the organisation, see D. Outhewaite's publication (ref: 40862/PM/3).
LevelCollection
Access statusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018