Ref no39842
TitleRecords of the Bristol Guild of the Handicapped
DescriptionCollection background from original BRO catalogue: The "Guild of the Brave Poor Things" was founded by Ada Vachell at Stratton Street on 13th February 1896. The Guild moved to Broad Plain in March 1896, and to purpose built premises, "The Heritage", Braggs Lane, St Jude's, 27th June 1915. The holiday home at Churchill, Somerset was opened in May 1906 but is now closed.

Collection background from Bristol Charities website: The Guild was created by Ada Vachell, a campaigner who worked tireless for the “poor and needy” in an age before the welfare state. Popularly known as “Sister Ada”, she cared for hundreds of disabled and sick people in Bristol.

Born in Cardiff in 1866, Ada’s family moved to Sneyd Park when she was nine. Inspired by the death of her two sisters to scarlet fever, Ada opened her first home called the Guild of Brave Poor Things in Bragg’s Lane, St Philips, Bristol in 1913. She also started Sunday classes for servants, a club for girls and a Scout group, as well as the Invalid Children’ School in Churchill, Somerset, so that disabled youngsters could escape the city slums.

In 1918 the name of the Guild of the Poor Young Things was changed to the Guild of the Handicapped to meet the wishes of the lads and younger men who found the original name a source of misunderstanding and adverse criticism in their workshops.

In 1986 the trustees of Bristol Charities (see 33041) received the assets previously owned by the guild, with the income to be used for the benefit of physically handicapped Bristolians.
Access statusMixed
Access conditionsData Protection Act 1998
Archivist's noteData Controller: Bristol Charities, 17 St Augustine's Parade Bristol BS1 4UI (contact in 2012 is Mr David Jones)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019