Ref no37553
TitleSt Joseph's Catholic Chapel, Trenchard Street, and St Mary's on the Quay Catholic Church
Date1777-1985
DescriptionRegisters
Parish Priest
Charities
Schools
Societies
LevelCollection
Extent5 series
Administrative historySt. Joseph's Chapel, Trenchard Street, opened in 1790, was the first post-Reformation Catholic Chapel to be built in Bristol. In 1843, that chapel being considered inadequate, the present building was purchased from the Irvingites and opened as St. Mary's on the Quay. For a time services were held in St. Joseph's and St. Mary's but later St. Joseph's ceased to be used as a chapel.The registers ante-date the opening of St.Joseph's chapel by thirteen years. They were begun in 1777 by Fr. John Fontaine, an assistant to Fr. John Scudamore who served the Bristol Catholics from a chapel in St.James Back.
Access statusOpen
Access conditionsThese records are immediately available for research
Related materialOther records relating to St.Mary on the Quay are contained among the archives of the Diocese of Clifton, at St.Ambrose, Leigh Woods, Bristol, and the Archives of the English Province of the Society of Jesus, 114 Mount Street, London W1Y 5HD.
LanguageEnglish
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018