Ref no37454
TitleRecords relating to the Bristol Commercial Rooms, Corn Street
DescriptionThe establishment of the Commercial Rooms, Corn Street, grew out of the desire of businessmen and merchants of Bristol to have a meeting place where transactions could be carried out in comfort, and which subscribers could use as a social and business centre. The Exchange in Corn Street has provided this facility to some extent, but the Commercial Rooms proved on opening to be a far more popular venue for such activities.

A committee was established in 1808 to consider the foundation of the "Commercial Coffee Rooms", and at a meeting in November of that year the sum of £10,000, the estimated requirement, was guaranteed within 24 hours. The foundation stone was laid on the 19th March 1810, and the Rooms opened to subscribers in October 1811. The first President was John Loudon McAdam, the Road Surveyor to the Bristol Turnpike Trust, later to become famous as the inventor of the "macadam" road surface which transformed the turnpike roads.

The fine building, in the Grecian style, was designed by Charles Augustus Busby, and was his first important commission. In 1976 the building was restored and redecorated.
LevelCollection
Extent3 shelves listed, 3 shelves unlisted
ArrangementThe records are listed in the following classes: Minutes; Reports; Shareholders and Members; Financial records; Plans photographs and pictures; Miscellaneous; Other concerns
Related materialSee also RefNos 20164, 41504, 44059 and 44759.
Archivist's noteItems with an asterisk (*) denote items retained at Commercial Rooms when the collection was listed in 1980. It is possible they are within an unlisted second deposit received in 1994 (37454/addl). Please consult a member of staff if you wish to view any item with an asterisk as this will involve a large amount of staff time searching the unlisted boxes.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018