Ref no33041
TitleRecords of Bristol Municipal Charities, later Bristol Charities
DescriptionThis collection is in the process of being recatalogued owing to several large additional deposits of material. Some previously listed items may therefore not appear in the online catalogue until the collection has been fully recatalogued. Please contact Bristol Archives if you have any queries regarding this collection.

Original Classification:
BMC/1 Trinity Hospital
BMC/2 Foster's Almshouse
BMC/3 Bristol Grammar School
BMC/4 Queen Elizabeth's Hospital
BMC/5 Rev Dr Thomas White's Charities
BMC/6 Alderman John Whitson's Charities [including Red Maids School]
BMC/7 Loan Money
BMC/8 Miss Mary Ann Peloquin's Charity
BMC/9 Alderman John Merlott's Charity
BMC/10 Alderman Henry Bengough's Charity
BMC/11 Corporation of Bristol
BMC/12 Trustees of the Bristol Municipal Charities
BMC/13 Dispensaries
BMC/14 Mary Carpenter Memorial
LevelCollection
Administrative historyBristol Charities came into being as a result of the 1835 Municipal Corporations Act and the Trustees adminster those charities that, prior the Act, were under the control of the Corporation of Bristol. The Corporation of Bristol had come under a lot of criticism including accusations of bribing electers with the Charities' funds, and general criticism of poor management of the charities. The Municipal Corportations Bill introduced in 1835 applied legislation to all 183 coporations which had been investigated including the Corporation of Bristol.

A Board of Trustees was appointed in 1836 and the charities under the administration of the Corporation were transferred to the Trustees of Bristol Charities. These charities were as follows:
- The endowment funds of three schools; The Free Grammar School (now known as Bristol Grammar School), The Red Maids' School and Queen Elizabeth's Hospital; were administered by the Corporation and the Mayor and Alderman governed the schools.
- Three charities under the control of the Corporation offered accommodation to the poor. They were Foster's Almshouse (founded in 1492) and two Almshouses in Old Market Street; Trinity Hospital North (1411) and Trinity Hospital South (1395) later known as Barstaple House.
- The Corporation also administered a number of non-educational charities principally involved in gifts or grants to the poor.

For more information on the history of the individual schools, almshouses and charities, and the additional charities which followed, see the individual class level entries.
Subjectcharity names
Custodial historyOriginal deposit received 1973 with additions in 2000 and 2004. Large additional deposits in 2015 and 2016 resulted in a re-arrangement of the collection 2016-2019 in order to incorporate the additional material

Show related Persons records.

Persons
CodePersonNameDates
NA1440Almshouse; Trinity Hospital
NA1451Fosters Almshouse, Colston Street
NA813Education; Bristol Grammar School
NA829Education; Queen Elizabeth's Hospital
NA374Bristol City Council: Social Services Committee
NA1144Mary Carpenter Memorial Working Girl's Home of Bishop Street,Bristol
NA189Bristol City Council
NA1553Bristol Municipal Charities
NA1818White; Thomas (1550-1624); Rev Dr1550-1624
NA1819Whitson; John (17th century); Alderman17th century
NA1820Peloquin; Mary Ann (18th century)18th century
NA1818White; Thomas (1550-1624); Rev Dr1550-1624
NA1819Whitson; John (17th century); Alderman17th century
NA1821Merlott; John (late 18th century); Aldermanlate 18th century
NA1822Bengough; Henry (c1739-1818); Aldermanc1739-1818
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020